After reviewing so many beauty products in the market, I came to this realization that homemade beauty remedies still works the best. The advantage of creating your own skin care products is being able to control the amount of product you want to make and ensuring that no harmful chemicals are added in. There is also a reduction of packaging as you can use recycled containers to contain your beauty products.You can customize it according to your own needs and it is eco-friendly and affordable too.
I’ve tried making coffee coconut scrubs before and I really like how it helps to firm up the skin and keeps it smoother. Trust me, if you use it long enough you see how these natural ingredients could actually benefit you through one way or another.But this time, I wanted to try making body bars out of these scrubs using cupcake wrappers to make them look like an edible piece of delicious chocolate or cupcake. It works out to be perfect as it is already portioned into bars so you just grab and go. You don’t have to dig your fingers into the jar to scoop out some of the scrubs. It’s hygienic, safe and very affordable.
What you’ll need:
1) Grounded coffee powderMake sure you get the 100% pure coffee powder that has very rough texture as we are using the coffee powder as a scrub for exfoliation.
2) Pure shea butterI got hold of a tub of shea butter from iHerb and it is 100% natural shea butter. I hardly use shea butter on my body unless my elbows become dry and scaly. So, I just using the left-over products to add into my scrub bars. Of course, you can choose to put other types of natural oils or butter too to help moisturize the skin and at the same time, solidifies the product to hold the coffee powder together.
3) Coconut oilI prefer using coconut oil as a beauty ingredient than an ingredient for recipes. It also helps to keep the skin soft and I used only virgin coconut cold-pressed oil which is lightly scented is less viscous. I find that such oil absorbs into the skin better.
4) SaltThe salt acts as a preservative to keep the scrub bars germ-free at least for a few days. I am using the Himalayan pink salt which also contains minerals that are great for the skin.
5) Natural essential oil of your choiceI decided to add in some natural essential oils for a pleasant scent. Here, I am using the eucalyptus oil that gives it a refreshing scent to it. You could add lavender, peppermint or any other scents that pair well with the scent of the coconut oil.
1: I would prepare a hot water bath to melt the shea butter into liquid and while waiting for it to melt completely, I would carry on preparing other ingredients.
2. I filled up each cupcake foil with about 1 tablespoon of coffee powder and 1 teaspoon of salt.
3. Next, I pour in one tablespoon of coconut oil into the mixture and mix it well with a satay stick to ensure that the coffee powder is mixed coated with the coconut oil.
5. Add a few drops of essential oil into the melted shea butter and mix well.
6. Lastly, I pour out the melted shea butter into the cupcake mould and then let it cool for 15 minutes before placing them into the fridge to chill.
7. You can start to use these bars after leaving in the fridge for an hour or so.
I would use this scrub bars during shower time after washing the body. These bars can be used all over the body as a body scrub too.