Soups can be very filling and it is also very easy to make. Unlike the Chinese traditional soups where you use the chicken and pork bones to create flavour in the soup, these western-style soups rely on herbs and spices to bring out the flavour of the vegetables or other ingredients used.
Carrots are sweet and I felt that it’s one of the best vegetables to make soup. I am throwing in stalks of celery too as it gives the soup that salty and savoury punch. With the celeries, I can cut down the amount of salt used for this recipe.
And to add a little oriental flavour, I would add some sesame seed oil into the soup. The taste and aroma of the sesame seed oil adds more fragrance to the soup. It’s a must-have ingredient in most of my soup recipes!
Carrot and Celery Soup Recipe
1 medium-sized carrot (peeled)
1 stalks of celery
2 tablespoons of chopped onions
1 teaspoon of pure sesame seed oil (optional)
1/2 tablespoon of black pepper
1/4 tablespoon of coriander
1/4 tablespoon of cumin
1/4 tablespoon of sea salt
1. Dice the carrots and celery into cubes then boil it in hot water for about 5 minutes or until it has soften slightly.
2. Transfer the cooked carrots and celery together with some hot water into a powerful blender. Add in the chopped onions into the blender and blend everything together till it forms a purée. If it is too thick, add in some water and blend.
3. Pour the soup purée into a pot and boil on low heat.
4. While boiling the soup, add in the rest of the condiments: sesame seed oil, coriander, cumin, black pepper and sea salt.
5. Once the soup is bubbling, turn off the heat.
6. Scoop into a bowl immediately and serve hot.
I am always perspiring when I am drinking soup right in the dining area. I like it to drink it while it is steaming hot!