I was craving for some veggie sushi so I went around to shop for the essential ingredients like rice and vegetables. As I went about searching for health foods, I came across this intriguing rice product. Germinated black cargo rice?1? These are rice that were ultra black. Cool, I thought. They were not only black in colour but were germinated and that is to say that they were more nutritious than normal white rice in the sense that each rice seed has its nutrients and enzymes unlocked.
Germinated black cargo rice by Golden Phoenix
According to the details on the packaging, germinated black cargo rice is softer in texture than the ungerminated ones. But these non-glutinous cargo rice is similar to brown rice which has a higher fibre content than regular white rice.
It is also known as Thai Black Jasmine Rice (Hom Mali) or purple rice because when the rice is cooked, it turns slightly purplish. Black rice is high in nutritional value and is a good source of iron, vitamin E and antioxidants. It’s actually one of the most high nutrients-containing rice in the world.
Black Rice Veggie Sushi Rolls
Black Rice (2 cups)
Green bell peppers
Japananese Rice Vinegar
1. Cook the rice in a rice cooker for about 20 to 30 minutes.
2. Wait for it to cool down for about 10 minutes because mixing in some rice vinegar. ( Add a little rice vinegar at a time. You just want to ensure that each rice grain is coated with a thin layer of vinegar to give it that slight aromatic sourish flavour that sushi rice have.)
3.Slice the carrots, green bell peppers, Japanese cucumbers and mushrooms into thin long strips so that it is easier to roll it up with the seaweed and rice.
3. Layer the nori seaweed sheet with some black rice then place the vegetables and mushrooms on the rice layer. ( You can watch this YouTube video here on how to make a sushi roll. )
4. You can roll the sushi with free hands or using a bamboo mat. Here, I use free hands to roll the sushi roll. Then cut the sushi into slices with a clean and slightly damp knife.
5. Serve it with some soy sauce and wasabi. Enjoy!